Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Re: I would like to exchange e-mails regarding evolution and creation

AN

Thanks for your message, which as per my policy on private creation/evolution/design messages I receive, I am copying to my blog CreationEvolutionDesign after removing your personal identifying information and changing the subject line.

[Graphic: If Jesus is alive (which he is) then Darwinism is dead!]

----- Original Message -----

From: AN
To: Stephen E. Jones
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 7:40 PM
Subject: Creation and Evolution

>Dear Mr. Jones,
>
>My name is AN, I am writing from Portugal, I have just accidentally come across your blog, and I woud like to keep your contact and know if we can exchange e-mails regarding the subject of evolution and creation.

Unfortunately, it is my long-standing policy not to get involved in private discussions on creation/evolution/ design issues. The main problem is time. The world is a big place and if I exchanged "e-mails regarding the subject of evolution and creation" with everyone who wanted me to, there would not be enough hours in the day to do only that!

>I am a ... portuguese, christian (catholic), and was a previous PhD student ... (had to give up my PhD ...).

I am sorry to hear that.

>The best summary on the whole question that I have found up to today is cardinal Schönborn's recent cathechesis, which can be linked to through my blog (maybe you will find it usefull for your book): ...

Thanks for that link which I was not aware of. I may refer to it in future posts. For readers of my blog it is at: Creation and Evolution: To the Debate as It Stands.

Although I am a Protestant, I have already commented favourably on both Cardinal Schönborn (15-Jul-05; 27-Jan-06 & 27-Aug-06) and Pope Benedict (13-Nov-05; 30-Nov-05; 29-Aug-06; 03-Sep-06; 04-Sep-06 & 08-Sep-06) in their stand against Darwinism.

I agree with leading Protestant evangelical theologian J.I. Packer that Protestant and Catholic "theological conservatives ... who honor the Christ of the Bible and of the historic creeds and confessions" have more in common than either has with "theological liberals and radicals who ... do not":

"Time was when Western Christendom's deepest division was between relatively homogeneous Protestant churches and a relatively homogeneous Church of Rome. Today, however, the deepest and most hurtful division is between theological conservatives (or `conservationists,' as I prefer to call them), who honor the Christ of the Bible and of the historic creeds and confessions, and theological liberals and radicals who for whatever reason do not; and this division splits the older Protestant bodies and the Roman communion internally. Convictional renewal within the churches can only come, under God, through sustained exposition, affirmation, and debate, and since it is substantially the same battle that has to be fought across the board, a coalition of evangelical and Catholic resources for the purpose would surely make sense." (Packer, J.I., "Why I Signed It," Christianity Today, December 12, 1994, pp.34-37, pp.35-36)

>I would like to improve my knowledge on this subject with active scientists who share faith in Christ.

Unfortunately all I can offer for now is my blog posts, and those of the other pro-Intelligent Design blogs whose links are on my blog's front page. Because I received too many comments from evolutionists who just want to waste my time, I have had to turn comments off.

>Hope to hear from you soon,
>
>AN

Again, thanks for your message.

Stephen E. Jones, BSc (Biol).
Genesis 2:8-9. 8Now the LORD God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden; and there he put the man he had formed. 9And the LORD God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground-trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.